Tuesday 26 July 2011

Inaugural Banga-Vibhushan for Manna Dey, Mahashweta Devi

Legendary singer Manna De and Magsaysay award winner renowned writer Mahashweta Devi are are among the nine luminaries from diverse fields felicitated with the inaugural 'Banga-Vibhusan' award by the West Bengal government Monday.


The award is in recognition to their contribution in the field of Arts, Culture, Music and Sports.


However due to bad health Manna Dey could not come to attend the ceremony in person, he was handed over the award at his Bangalore residence. A short clip was also filmed in which he was shown emotional while receiving the award. He said "I am a son of Bengal; I have sung so many Bengali songs. I have worked with all the big music directors of my time. But I was never given any recognition. This is the best award that I have got'. 


Same sentiments were expressed by the writer, 'I have written mostly in Bengali. I have got the Jnanpith award, but the state government did not give me any recognition. Today I am overwhelmed to get this award.'


She also asked the government to encourage the budding writers by recognizing their efforts through these awards and recognition. 



The other reciepent of Banga-Vibhushan award are renowned danseuse Amala Shankar, sarod maestro Ustad Amjad Ali Khan, leading lady of yesteryear's Bengali cinema Supriya Devi, veteran actor Haradhan Bandopadhyay, iconic footballer and Asian Games gold medallist team captain Sailen Manna, famed singer Sandhya Mukhopadhyay, and celebrated Rabindra Sangeet exponent Dwijen Mukhopadhyay.

No comments:

Post a Comment